French delicacy at it’s finest. The White Onion in Wimbledon Village is a true gem to find and we couldn’t recommend it highly enough. The restaurant is stylishly decorated in greys, blues and white. The location is amazing, right in the heart of the village. But really you’re here for the food. And the service, which is so amazing.
Even before the booking started, the experience was amazing. Andreia was so helpful, friendly and made booking the table so easy. We visited as a large group, there were 9 of us. For the whole night we had a dedicated waitress who waited on us perfectly, ensuring our wine was constantly topped up and that we had everything we needed.
The food is just so impressive. Every single plate of the 3 courses we all had was cleared. The menu has a french twist and is beautifully presented. Portions are the perfect size – large enough that you’re satisfied but not too big that you leave needing to lie down! At our table the Lightly smoked Sicilian prawns with heritage tomato tartelette, burrata and olives was very popular. The prawns were so tasty, by far the best prawns I’ve had. Another popular dish was the Crispy duck egg with duck leg rillettes, black truffle, teriyaki and truffle sauce. Everyone commented about how the truffle was the perfect touch, enough to wow but not overpower as so often happens.
Onto mains, a few of us ordered the Cornish lemon sole with Italian herb prosciutto, grilled leeks, morel, grenobloise. This dish was almost as much a feast for the eyes as the mouth – so beautiful. The assiette of West country lamb with garlic leaves, Jersey Royals, confit shallot, lamb jus was also very popular and cooked to perfection.
There’s always room for pudding…
When it came to dessert we all had to find some space as these desserts are not to be missed. The highlight I think was the cheese board. Presented with an incredible array of 12 cheeses it was heaven to hear I could have them all! 12 amazing cheeses ranging from blue to soft to intense and hard. On top of this charcoal biscuits, oatcakes, bread and truffle syrup – so good! We tried almost all the dishes between our group and weren’t disappointed.
The wine list is brilliant at the White Onion, we opted for a Sancerre and a Pinot Noir. If the quantity we drank indicated our thoughts, we certainly liked it!
All in all, I could not fault anything here – such a great restaurant. I would return again and again.
Take It From Us
- Best Table: I think they all look great - they have some nice booths and a great private dining room for groups up to 22 guests.
- Average Price per Person (including 2 course, half a bottle of wine): Approx. £70.
- Unique Selling Point: The french cuisine and service - incredible.
- What to wear: You can dress up here but it's not essential. I'd go smart.
- What we loved: The whole experience. The service was really amazing from start to finish.
- What we didn't love: We left at around 11.30pm but could've stayed longer however the restaurant closed then. Although this is a small point - we were ready to go home to bed after all that red wine!
- How to get there: Wimbledon Station is closest and it's up the hill (or a short car ride).