One of my favourite lunch spots in London – Hutong at the Shard, never disappoints. On the 33rd floor of the iconic Shard building, the Hutong restaurant is on the upper level and has a more intimate feel that the main floor (Aqua Shard). Serving a wide range of dishes with a Northern China influence you will not be disappointed.
Onto the food – a Hutong feast
My lunch saw me enjoying a true feast – starting with a range of dim sum (we let our waitress choose) we enjoyed traditional options and some amazing unique dishes such as the mushroom steamed bun – cooked so the outer has the appearance of a charred mushroom but when you bite into it you realise it is in fact a steamed bun of deliciousness.
For our second course we indulged in the duck with pancakes. The duck is carved at the table and unlike aromatic crispy duck it’s beautifully tender with a delicious crispy skin. Complete with pancakes, hoisin sauce and spring onions it’s a firm favourite.
Our third and final course (because let’s face it when this arrived we knew there was going to be no space for dessert) was the highlight. We ordered 5 dishes between the four of us which was probably too many but we couldn’t resist! The Hutong fried chicken fillet with Sichuan dried chilli had the most delicious chilli kick and was a definite winner. The sautéed crispy shredded beef with chilli, carrot and garlic is always incredible and the wok fried chicken with Sichuan black bean & ginger sauce was so good. In an attempt to be healthy we ordered the lettuce leaves with marinated chicken and a huge plate of spinach. All in all, excellent choices and we were truly stuffed to the brim!
Whilst Hutong at the Shard is very much a foodie destination. You can’t ignore the fact that you’re on the 33rd floor so the views are incredible. Any table is amazing but obviously a table by the window is the dream, however you can’t reserve specific tables. You must however visit the toilets for one of the best views!
Check out other restaurants review from Pearl and Pear here.
Take It From Us
- Review in one word: Delicious
- Best table: They're all great and as the space isn't huge it isn't the end of the world if you're not by the window however it is pretty amazing if you are.
- Average Price per Person (including 2 courses, half a bottle of wine): Approx. £80-100 pp.
- Unique Selling Point: It's got to be the view
- What to wear: Sky high chic
- We loved: The food is always amazing every time and it didn't disappoint
- What we didn't love: Sometimes you feel as if you need sunglasses as it can get bright. However that's a minor issue and really the main problem is not being able to physically fit more food in!
- How to get there:: London Bridge tube or overground is the closest. The Shard is hard to miss so you wont get lost.